A founding attorney at Kelly Byrnes & Danker, PLLC, Sean P. Kelly focuses his practice exclusively on family law matters. From the firm's offices in Fairfax and Leesburg, Virginia, he provides representation to residents throughout the portions of the state adjacent to the District of Columbia who are facing the end of their marriage and thus need advice and counsel with respect to divorce issues such as the division of complex assets and debt, child support and visitation, and alimony. A forceful courtroom advocate for his clients, Mr. Kelly also often attempts to seek an accord on some of these issues through alternative dispute resolution methods such as negotiations and mediation.
Mr. Kelly works closely with forensic accountants and other financial professionals when seeking to locate hidden assets or to place a valuation on business interests for property division purposes. He also has family law experience in the preparation and review of prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements. Highly regarded by his fellow professionals, Mr. Kelly has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America each year since 2011, and he has been named to Washingtonian Magazine's annual Top Lawyers list on several occasions.
Majoring in English and history, Mr. Kelly attended the University of Scranton as an undergraduate, and in 1990, he received a Bachelor of Arts. He then pursued a legal education at The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1993. Prior to co-founding Kelly Byrnes & Danker, PLLC, he was a partner at another area family law firm. Admitted to practice in both Virginia and New Jersey, Mr. Kelly is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
Areas of Practice
- Family Law
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as one of the D.C. area's best divorce lawyers, Washingtonian Magazine, 2009
- Top Lawyers list, Washingtonian Magazine, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16
- The Best Lawyers in America beginning in 2011 and has been selected for inclusion each year since
- Super Lawyers in Virginia and/or Washington, D.C. every year since 2007
- December 2018 Northern Virginia Magazine as a Top Divorce and Family Lawyer in the Northern Virginia area
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Virginia State Bar Disciplinary Committee for the 5th District, Member, 2000 to 2006
- Virginia State Bar's Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee, 2007 - 2009 (Chair 2008-2009)
- Virginia State Bar Council, 2002-2008 and 2010-2016